Python for Programmers
We offer intensive 4-day courses in Python for programmers. By the end of the Python for Programmers course, you will understand Python in depth and be able to make rapid progress with using Python.
We also offer abbreviated course options (2 days and 3 days) for people with prior experience programming in Python.
Prior experience with programming (in any language) is assumed.
By the end of the course, you will have a good understanding of the core Python language, Python’s excellent built-in data types, and the fundamentals of object-oriented programming in Python. You will have experience using expressive Python idioms, understand how modules and packages work, Python’s coding style guidelines, and how to write unit tests for Python code. You will also know about how to read, write, visualise, and perform powerful descriptive analytics on tabular datasets (including CSV, Excel, and SQL) and how to use Python to consume web APIs and to create your own web APIs. You will also understand the elegance and power of the language and you will be well-placed to continue learning more as you use it day-to-day.
Day 1: Python Basics
Day 1 covers how to use Python for basic scripting and automation tasks, including tips and tricks for making this easy. The syllabus is as follows:
- Why use Python? What’s possible?
- Setting up your Python development environment (IDE, Jupyter)
- The Jupyter notebook and shell for rapid prototyping and automated reporting
- Modules and packages
- Python concepts: an introduction through examples
- Essential data types, tips and tricks
- Raising and handling exceptions
- Worked example: consuming web APIs
Day 2: Handling, Analysing, and Presenting Data in Python
The Pandas package is an amazingly productive tool for working with different kinds of data in Python. Day 2 gives a comprehensive introduction to reading and writing the most important data formats and how to analyse and visualise data easily.
- Reading and writing essential data formats: CSV, Excel, SQL databases, JSON, time-series
- Indexing and selecting data in Pandas
- Data fusion: joining & merging datasets
- Summarisation with “group by” operations; pivot tables
- Time-series analysis: parsing dates, resampling
- Visualisation and statistical graphics with Seaborn
Day 3: Real-world programming in Python
Day 3 shows you intermediate-level language features, tools, techniques, and best practices for writing maintainable Python code in teams.
- Elegant features of Python: keyword arguments, comprehensions, sequence unpacking
- Defining classes: custom data types; inheritance
- Iterators and generators
- Functional programming with toolz
- Integrated development environments; debugging tools
- Python style and docstring conventions; linting tools
- Elegant code beyond PEP8: class special methods, context managers, decorators
- Creating modules and installable packages; structuring Python projects
- Automated unit-testing with py.test and property-based testing with hypothesis
- Managing isolated environments for team projects with conda; specifying package requirements
Day 4: Web APIs
Day 4 will show you how to consume and create web APIs in depth:
- Consuming web APIs: the requests package in more depth; oauth; sessions; rate limits
- Background: creating dynamic websites with Flask
- Templating; sessions; deployment; security
- Creating web APIs with Flask and Flask-RESTful
- Documenting web APIs with OpenAPI (Swagger)
We will supply you with printed course notes and a USB stick containing electronic versions of the course notes as Jupyter notebooks, solutions to the programming exercises, several written tutorials, and reference documentation on Python and the third-party packages covered in the course.
- Personal help:
- Your trainer(s) will be available after the course each day for you to ask any one-on-one questions you like — whether about the course material and exercises or about specific problems you face in your work and how to use Python to solve them.
- Food and drink:
- We will provide lunch, morning and afternoon tea, and drinks.
- The course will run from 9:00 to roughly 17:00 each day, with a breaks of an hour for lunch and 15 minutes each for morning and afternoon tea.
There are currently no events. Contact Us to arrange an event in your location.